Sunday 15 December 2013

Festive Five... Films

Being an excitable person, I've never really had much trouble getting into the festive spirit (I start in October for crying out loud), and I always find that Christmas movies are integral in switching my brain from Summer holiday to Christmas mode. My favourite thing to do on cold December nights is to tuck up in bed with a mug of mint hot chocolate (I'd recommend Mint Madness by Options), watching a Christmas film. Since it's just over a week until the big day, I thought I'd compile a list of top 5 festive films and explain exactly why I love them so much.

My first pick is probably one of the most popular festive films, and rightly so. Elf is a comedy Christmas movie starring Will Ferrell (my hero), but if you don't know that I'm assuming you've been living under a rock for the last few years. I watch this movie every single Christmas without fail, and it's one of the few Christmas movies that has the approval of my whole family, which is an achievement in itself.
The next film I'm recommending is Arthur Christmas. I saw this in the cinema when it came out a couple of years ago and I've watched it on a myriad of occasions since. It's a really cute, feel good film, and although it's primarily aimed at children I think it's suitable for the whole family to sit and watch together. 
When I was younger I absolutely hated White Christmas, but after watching it again the other day I've had a change of heart. Yes it's cheesey, yes it's dated, and yes there are better quality films out there, but it's a classic and it makes me feel all warm in side. Bing Crosby is an utter legend, and my favourite actress/ dancer, Vera Ellen, plays a supporting role and manages to execute it flawlessly (I may be slightly obsessed with her). If you're looking for a quick fix to get into the festive spirit, this is it.
 The Muppets Christmas Carol is definitely a modern classic. Although I do like the original black and white version from 1951, I find this to be a lot less morbid and to be honest I like to keep the blubbing to a minimum around Christmas time. This is a light hearted, family friendly adaptation of a classic and once watched you won't be able to shake the songs from your head for days (I'm currently battling with 'We're Marley and Marley, whooo).

My final pick has to be Nativity. I was dragged along to see this by my little sister, and was surprised when I actually enjoyed it. I laughed and I cried, and the star studded cast (Martin Freeman, Ashley Jenson and Alan Carr feature) didn't disappoint. I absolutely adore this film, so much so that I went to see Nativity 2 last year and loved it just as much (especially since David Tennant is in it. How can you not love him?). The children in both movies are adorable, it makes me inwardly squeal, and it's so. damn. cute.

What are your favourite movies which get you into the festive spirit? Feel free to leave a comment down below as I'd love to hear yours and maybe even discover something new. Thanks for reading, til next time...
Kate x

No comments:

Post a Comment